Saturday, March 24, 2007

Eighties Anthems – We Salute You!


The other day my lovely Crit Partner in Crime Nat, blogged about Gym Tracks and 80s Anthems. It’s stirred me into action by getting me wondering about tracks from the beloved 80s that I just HAVE to turn up on the radio even yet. Picture if you will the scene - the kind of tracks that get you singing out of the car window on a hot summer’s day and then wishing you hadn’t as a local farmer on a tractor passes you at 10mph and shakes his head at your taste in Cyndi Lauper. You get my drift?

The 80s (call it sad, call it a time of bad primary coloured bedroom décor that resembled the inside of a bad taste winebar, flouncy ra-ra skirts that stripped your dignity and bizarre plastic jewellery, handbags and shoes) but d’ya know – I JUST LOVED IT. Heck it was a fun feel good vibe and I was young.

It makes me nostalgic yet – memories of buying Smash Hits as soon as it hit the shelves and swooning over the latest poster of Haircut One Hundred or Depeche Mode (STOP SHOUTING SAD AT THE BACK PLEASE! I can still punch your lights out in a twitch and anyway I'm still a member of the Depeche Mode fan club even yet so I'll take no joshing.)

Anyway – in a tribute to those heady days of yoof when 1. I sported a rather sad tailey thing on the back of my haircut (a la Paul Young and Howard Jones) 2. I wore scarlet leopard print leggings in public without flinching or batting an eyelid, and 3. I had a huge crush on the lead singer from the Thompson Twins (WHYEVER WOULD THAT BE? WERE MY HORMONES THAT STRANGE?). So here’s my tag list on 80s anthems –

Go on – I dare anyone who reads this to better it or to even try and emulate the extent of my madness. And I hereby promise to put in a list of all those bloggers who take up the call to answer to stand up and declare – YES I LOVED THE 80s and I’m PROUD DAGNAMIT! SO PROUD! AND I WORE THE PIXIE BOOTS TO PROVE IT.

80s Anthems That I CRANK UP even yet:

Simple Minds – Don’t You Forget About Me
- The words ‘hey, hey, hey, hey’ will forever send me aquiver. In fact is it too sad to admit I’ve been to see Simple Minds twice in the last five years??? They were just as good – even without ponytails and all on a low cholesterol diet (g)
Maniac (from Flashdance) – Michael Sembello!
- Again another inspired intro that sets my feet atappin’. The memory of me, my flatmate and all our friends dancing around the flat living room til two in the morning and juggling oranges (yes I did just say juggling oranges –they were all we had to hand) to this tune remains a precious special thing! In fact the DJ at my wedding party was ordered to play this several times over – and he did! Hurrah!
Don Henley – Boys Of Summer
- Ahhh – I fill up just hearing the intro. Fab voice, great tune, mega lyrics. And the best part is – my dear long-suffering hubbie has a well hidden fondness for this track also. And guess – I still have the 12 incher in my wardrobe! Now listen here DJ Sammy – just cos you put this to a techno beat does not mean you are big nor clever. Some things should remain just as they are!
Fleetwood Mac – Everywhere
- This tune reminds me of being a uni and having a soppy crush and loving the video to bits then playing it over and over and over in the student union bar while I ate Crème Eggs. Don’t ask (a time of great angst).
Human League – Don’t You Want Me
- This reminds me of my birthday in early 82 when it was number one and I played it til it drove everyone demented.
Bananarama and Fun Boy Three – It Ain’t What You Do
- Secondary comprehensive school schooldays and a bad hairgel abuse habit! Not clever nor pretty.
Nick Kershaw – Wouldn’t It Be Good!
- Memories of going on a school trip to the Belgian battlefields, wearing camouflage combat jeans and thinking I was the coolest thing since Hazel Dean (joke!) and then getting ill and spending the rest of it in intensive care. While everyone else flirted and went out with each other. Ack!
OMD – Enola Gaye
- This one is for my mate Linda who even yet leaps into the air when this track starts up. Yes, it is embarrassing. And will be more so when she reaches pensionable age and has a dodgy hip.
Alphaville – Big In Japan
- Aherm I know this one’s the cheesiest but I can’t help it. It’s the monotonous drum beat and repetitive synth that does it.
Animotion – Obsession
- This track is phenom. A classic of it’s time. When DJs (a la Gary Davies) looked like they wanted to audition for Miami Vice.

See! Not a Whitney Track in evidence. No Eye Of The Tiger. Nor Duran Duran. I even omitted anything from Footloose. And I haven’t put down The Primitives or Propaganda, Belouis Some…And you know – the sad thing is I could go on at this all night. But I won’t. Relax!

I’m going now. To find my 80s megamixes and the leg warmers. jx

4 comments:

Jessica Raymond said...

LOL! For me it has to be:

"Down Under" by Men at Work

"I Won't Let the Sun Go Down on Me" by Nik Kershaw

"Too Shy" by Kajagoogoo

What do you think? :)

Jess x

Nell Dixon said...

Ultravox and Vienna
OMD
Pigbag
I knew some of the Spandau girls. We used to go to the Rum Runner where Dexy's used to hang out and one of the guys we were in school with was a backing musician.

Laura Hamby said...

How about "Jesse's Girl" and "Don't Talk to Strangers" by Rick Springfield? How could you forget RICK SPRINGFIELD?

"Separate Ways" Journey

"Careless Whisper" WHAM!

"I Can't Drive 55" Sammy Hagar

"Jump!" Van Halen

Okay, now that I've played... I'm leaving you with a CyberSmile of Goodwill. :)

Lis said...

My picks -
"Wake Me Up Before You Go Go"
"Girls Just Wanna Have Fun"
"The Right Stuff"
and how can you forget Madonna? :)
Like A Prayer