Saturday, November 29, 2008

Learning Curve #3

I'm coming out of lurkdom because I realised that ages ago I started the learning curve posts and didn't quite finish them.

This learning curve should have been titled !-()!!!---()()()(!!! Because when I first started writing I soon discovered (thanks to the wisdom of good crit) my biggest failing was dash/brackets/exclamation points overuse!! See I even used the good old bracket habit in the sentence above, sheesh.

And man oh yeh did I overuse them. Big time. Getting rid of them was a priority because the market I was aiming for had clean, easy to read language and style. So began the purge, and it proved harder than I thought. Especially when I felt it had me fighting with my voice. Writing as I felt it and then having to go back and 'sanitise'.

This was a hard nettle to grasp for me for the simple reason the way I write makes me go off at tangents, write asides in brackets etc etc etc.

Anyhoo. The boo-boos are now gone. Banished. Just like the jokes-frenzy banter style, it's all about calming down and enjoying the ride! Well, that's the plan.

And yes those lovely authors who first read my work and told me honestly what they thought are right. A smooth clear flow easily beats a messy, rat-a-tat machine gun punctuation carnage fest any day.

Of course now I've tamed them, I just need to write a good enough book!

Going back to lurkdom again but may post some weeny posts each week.

There could be another craft one soon too! And there may be an important 'Jude's new direction' post soon!!!


Special Notice: Moonlit Romance and By Grace Publishing will cease to be at the end of December. This is really sad news as Unique Enterprises has some of the loveliest authors and editors and they'll be sorely missed. So please note, TAKING THE LEAP and THE CONFETTI COUNTDOWN will only be available until end of December. Ideal stockingfillers both, so stock up now before they become collector's items! Use the buy it now links in the sidebar for purchase.

A special note of thanks and appreciation here to Sheila and Laura for all their hard work, dedication and enthusiasm.

1 comment:

Phillipa said...

Hello Jude.

You know I love your lively style but any 'tweaks' that make it shine even brighter have to be good. I can't wait to read about your new direction. P x