Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Black Moment Ahoy!


This is the hardest black moment ever.

Partly because I'm scared---I love these characters, I'm pretty pleased they've finally got something together. I don't want to rip their hearts out and make them walk the plank...

I'm also worried I've worked so hard to set them up together, to make the story fun and fast---can I really pull it off, yank them apart like this?

I honestly don't think I've ever felt this challenged before. Maybe it's because until now my conflicts have been pretty PANTS. Or maybe I'm just going mad.

Ack.
This is a nightmare.
I'm having Black Moment trauma. Run for your lives!


I know what Jess would be saying in the comments right now---stop complaining and just write it!!!

Grumble, grumble.

2 comments:

Michelle Styles said...

Be mean to your characters. If there is a glimmer of hope, snuff it out. The black moment must be truly black. All is lost and there is no way on earth they will get together. Except you then get it so they can be. It is emotionally very hard on the writer but remember the 10% rule -- most readers will only get 10% of the emotion you are feeling. Truly go for it and bleed on the page!

Judy Jarvie said...

I think you've just given me a lightbulb, Michelle, thank you. The phrase 'throw it all at them' jumped into my mind when I read your comment.
And so that is what I intend to do!
Hurray! It's worth having a public moan. Sometimes it even helps my brain to work.