Monday, July 27, 2009

Thoughts About Creating...

Over a week ago we spent the day in York and happened upon infamous pro electric violin busker Ed Alleyne Johnson. A rivetting experience-like the pied piper with a violin, you just have to follow and listen. Judging by the number of You Tube clips I'm not alone (you can find out more and buy his albums here). My fave was his version of Enola Gaye.

Anyway thinking about Ed has inspired some writing musings also:

  • No practice is wasted. Just like a musician you need to put the long hours in. You need to live it, want it, believe and go for it.
  • Voice, resonance, emotion, deft touch all deliver a 'soul touching' experience. Remember this!
  • Characters we love and a world we want to step into are what every reader is buying into you for. Deliver and your audience is pulled right in. Deliver the world they want! Touch them with what touches you.
  • Know your own USP - what you bring to the table (this has been a hard one for me...will talk about it later in the week...)
  • Don't belittle your practice years. Work, work, believe. Enthuse, be determined and work some more. You will get there. Faint heart won't cut it.
  • Tell the story your own way. No apologies for that.
  • View each story as a journey.
  • Love what you do!

More Music Musings later this week. So tune out now if I'm going too ecclectic on the clips!

5 comments:

Suzanne said...

This is great advic, Judy. X

Suzanne said...

Ooops, spelling. Sorry. (blush)

Jackie Ashenden said...

I second Suzanne. Great stuff, Judy. I sometimes forget that though I've only been submitting for a year or so, I have been writing for 25 years. All good practise!

Lacey Devlin said...

It's amazing how talented those buskers are! I love his violin though (one of my favourite colours thank you lol!). Love your points :)

Judy Jarvie said...

Suzanne, love the new pic thumbnail.
Sounds like you're a practise master Jackie. Fabbo.
Lacey. I'm a big purple fan too. It's the best colour there is.