Monday, August 03, 2009

Harriet Plotter


I've always been a seat of the pants girl. Going into the mist. Ever hopeful. Dallying with a fresh twist as the fancy takes me. Storyline commitment phobic most probably.

Well by jingo. What do you know?

I've been reading Dwight Swain. Obsessing about Goal, Conflict, Disaster Scenes and Sequences.

And suddenly I'm morphing into a plotter. Yep. Planning, lists. Working out the twists and turns before I get carried away with the wordage.

What next? Spreadsheets and an anorak? Maybe even a crochet habit?

I blame waking up to the golden benefits of having a syno BEFORE I write the story. I'm having to Plot or Flop. Totally out of character and crazy mad. I blame Steve...this never happened before he came along.

5 comments:

Lacey Devlin said...

*GASP* quick get the woman a doctor! lol! It's fabulous that you're plotting can't wait to hear how it goes :)

Lorraine said...

I'm a confirmed plotter to the point of paralysis but my view is it saves having to do so many extensive re-writes later.

He is very inspiring isn't he?

ninaharrington said...

Now you are talking my sort of filthy smut and mischief!
Craft geek and proud.
Plotting rules baby.. wait until you feel the compulsion to buy a sheet of polystyrene, cards and push pins.
[ spreadsheets can be nice,,,see me look away and whistle, hands in pockets]
On the other hand once you start writing it all morphs by magic osmosis onto the page and the characters starting doing wild improv - and you just go with it.
Crazy mad game. Quite right. LOL

Joanne Cleary said...

He he, cards and push pins is how I got a hold of the revisions I needed to do.

I've turned into a plotter. Mind you, when I started writing I didn't even know what scenes were. And no, I'm not kidding.

Suzanne Jones said...

I'm rather fond of spreadhsheets and I own an anorak (Scottish weather and all), but plotting's a bit beyond me. I'm hoping that will change one day.

:-)