Friday, November 27, 2009

My Friend, The Goldfish...

I've grown rather attached to our family pet, Charlie Bucket, the fish. Sad but true. He's a calico Oranda, has already tripled in size since he first arrived and has lost his calico stripes getting more and more orange instead.
He's kinda cute in a quiet, unobstrusive, swims/hides/loves his breakfast pellets more than life itself kinda way.

Basically he's a low maintenance source of empathy. And I'm finding myself nodding to him regularly, rewarded when he blinks back in a fishy enigmatic manner. Three months on he's still here-so what do you buy a goldfish for Xmas? Answers on a postcard please.

8 comments:

Jackie Ashenden said...

Um....you could buy him another goldfish? ;-)

Lorraine said...

I don't think I can top Jackie's answer. Um, does he have a little castle to hide in?

Lacey Devlin said...

More pellets :P

Caroline Storer said...

Nothing! Not being nasty here but don't goldfish have a 3 second memory so it will have forgotten all about it before you can say CH...RI...ST..MAS...

Sorry - couldn't resist that... How about one of those plastic castles? Take care. Caroline x

Judy Jarvie said...

Great answers ladeez. I knew I could count on you.
Sadly Charlie B will have to remain chaste and alone (tank too small) and the pellet stash already large whilst belly tiny. He has a castle too. Sad life being a goldfish.
I could always get him a sexy pic of another fish, Angelina Oranda?

Suzanne Jones said...

Oh, I was going to suggest a castle, but not only did Lorraine and Caroline beat me to it, but I see he already has one...

I'd go with the pic, Judy - I'm sure he'll appreciate it.

XX

Phillipa said...

I thought of castle too... but being different, what about a Georgian rectory?

Sue Moorcroft said...

You're not thinking clearly, Judy! Buy him a book! You can stand it open beside the bowl!