Monday, December 07, 2009

The Power of Positive Affirmation...

A writing pal of mine who has gone onto great published success once said to me...you have to imagine the call, visualise it happening when you're lying in bed at night! Stay positive and know that it can happen! Well. I'm trying really hard...and I wholly admire her words...

But I have a fly in my subbing ointment. Because no matter how hard I squeeze my eyes shut and IMAGINE (believe, believe)! The realist in me keeps chattering - harsh economic times, publishers cutting back etc etc...

Furthermore, when I was going through IVF treatment for our lovely DD2 a friend who'd been through it similarly advised - believe, believe, feel the conviction that it can work!

And er...although I kept upbeat and firm in my conviction to just give it my best, half my mind still said - ah well, this is my big try. Having a go so that I won't look back in regret and say 'what if!' A girl's gotta do with no guarantees. Joy of joys, it did work. And I pinch myself at this major life miracle every single day when I look at her beaming little smile. I was very lucky. However, I still boggle at the statistical chances...

So amid my subbing angst (yes, it's set in). I am doing what I do best. One minute upbeat and motivated, the next level-headed and realistic.

Trying to believe. But keeping an eye on the climate. Tough times means you have to get even tougher. So...let's just wait and see.

And yes. My nails are scuppered.

7 comments:

Lorraine said...

Perhaps we could try a collective consciousness thing and believe in success for each other? I'm sending lucky break vibes in your direction :-)

Nell Dixon said...

Being positive really does work!!

Caroline Storer said...

Lucky vibes commin' your way Judy! I'm warbling "One day my friend..." Take care. Caroline x

Jackie Ashenden said...

Judy, I do the opposite, imagine the worst so I won't be disappointed. And yet, when the worst happens, I am STILL disappointed. Ridiculous eh? So if I'm going to be disappointed anyway, maybe I should be thinking about the best outcome instead...

Lacey Devlin said...

I love that your realist voice is chanting about harsh economic times :P Maybe we could have it surgically removed? :P

Marcy said...

Jude...you are one of the most driven people I know (even if it's only through internet land). You will do this. Persistence always pays off.

Suzanne Jones said...

Sending positive thoughts.

XX