Saturday, October 09, 2010

Secrety Fantasy: Being Bob

This weekend I am reading Blythe Gifford's truly wonderful book, In The Master's Bed. Saying it will last the weekend is pushing it. I'll be at The End before sundown! And it's a really fantastic read, highly recommended and rather hard to put down. More here.

Plus it's made me wake up that this book obviously taps into a secret fantasy I did not know I had e.g. disguising myself as a boy/young guttersnipe in the hope of being unveiled by Mr Hunky. Yes. It is true and I just hadn't realised. So, I am asking myself, where did the deep, dark 'playing panto boy' fantasy come from? :) I have a rather strong suspicion it's Blackadder. Especially as my favourite episode is when Edmund falls for his 'boy' Bob. Plus Bob in Blackadder Goes Forth is almost as satisfying too...

“ Let me put it another way, Bob. You are a girl. And you're a girl with as much talent for disguise as a giraffe in dark glasses trying to get into a polar bears-only golf club."

I rest my case. 

You can see Bob and Edmund here.

5 comments:

Joanne Coles said...

Oh I love Blackadder, one of my favourite programmes ever. I love the episode where he sticks pencils up his nose and pretends to be mad but my fave one was when they tried to make "gold" and Percy gets all excited thinking he's invented "green" then Blackadder tells him "Percy, it looks like you've sneezed."

Sadly addicted, me? Never!

Blythe Gifford said...

Judy: You made my week! Thanks ever so much for your lovely words about IN THE MASTER'S BED.
I'm not familiar with Blackadder. Must go educate myself....

Judy Jarvie said...

Jo. I love Blackadder completely! Though I think I am secretly in love with Lord Flashheart. If I need a cheer up I get out the boxed set.

Blythe! Wow so fantastic to have you here! And the compliments are not said lightly. It's a fabulous book. (I always buy your titles now!) Innocence Unveiled made me a big fan! Thanks for commenting! j

Suzanne Jones said...

Ooooh, LOVE Blackadder - thank you for reminding me.

XX

Phillipa Ashley said...

Bring back Blackadder...

Jude - Shakespeare had this fantasy too - Orsino/Viola in Twelfth Night...