Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Writing. Fast. With Kids

As previously posted, it's the school summer hols (second week!) and unfortunately I'm in the midst of a 'get this book out of my head before my brain explodes' phase.

Sometimes I just need to write. Holidays or no holidays. Commitments or no commitments (ask my lovely friend who came to see me and stoutly accepted my need to spend frequent periods getting word count done! Now that's friendship!)

Anyway. I generally find that if I stop I lose momentum and it all goes awry. So ... here's my top tips for ensuring you get word count and don't have to deprive your kids during the hols. It can be done:

  • If your time is precious - treat it Nanowrimo style. Get a wordcount spreadsheet or word worm up and running and make it your mission to keep it moving up. Commit to that wordcount and make it rise in an OCD manner.
  • Treat it like a baton passing exercise! As soon as the hubbie comes in, or the kids are in bed, do 'Write or Die' or set a timer and just make yourself write at top speed! Limited time means get cracking! No time to waste! Don't worry if you're not in the mood - make yourself write yourself out of your funk instead!
  • Keep a notebook at the ready. Always. By the bed, by the loo, in your handbag. And postit notes are handy on the kitchen window ledge (my secret weapon). Sometimes inspiration strikes at the most inappropriate times. The notebook means you don't have to lose it. Jot it down. Sort it later!
  • Try to keep the story moving forward in your head. Keep working out that next scene. So what if previous bits need major surgery and a strong injection of plausibility? You just have to crack on because slowing is not an option! Just as 'Keep It Simple' is a great motto, so is 'Just Crack On'.
  • Accept that you might need late nights to achieve your objective (it's okay, you'll indulge in some earlies once it's done and polished! For now just push, push, push to The End!)
  • Reward - a treat is necessary for such hard graft. Surprise yourself with a pressie once you've done it!

6 comments:

Rachel Lyndhurst said...

Genius tips, Judy! I'm going to be needing them VERY soon!

X

Marcy said...

Great tips! Love the notebook in the loo...never thought about that. Genious!

Cara Cooper said...

The school holidays can really mess up a good writing routine. Mine's on work experience at the moment so at least it's quiet here in the mornings!

Phillipa said...

Great tips, Judy, I take the nanowrimo approach. And I don't have (little) kids any more but I do have a day job. Fitting writing romance around that can be difficult because you get a real conflict of interest and have to balance many short deadlines against a long one. Also the day job pays up fast!

Good luck with your new project.

Caroline said...

Wise words Judy, wise word as always. Hope your latest WIP flows like a river in flood! (Strange choice of words sorry - but it's SO hot here I can't think straight - lol!) Caroline x

Madeline Ash said...

Words of wisdom, Judy. If those tips are what got you through Nanny Behaving Badly (and I loved the end result!) then they must be gold. Taking them on board - especially the last one :)