Thursday, October 25, 2012

To NaNo Or Not To NaNo - That's The Question

Are you doing NaNoWriMo this year?

NaNoWriMo - the initiative to get everybody writing a book in November via a commitment to at least 1k a day - is not only great fun, it had wonderful community spirit and it's an excellent example of how books can be written. E.g. by just doing it! There's no magic, honest! Actually the magic comes later via patience and editing and being unfazed by a dog's dinner draft! But that's another story.

Since I'm on the edges of a new book I figured I would embark on the November NaNo adventure. And then I realised I was ready a week early and by waiting I'd miss out on over 10k so I've dived in and already started.

But I am a huge fan of NaNoWriMo and have done it several times; it's great fun. Hopefully I won't flag halfway through November by doing this solo. Actually, I'm determined not to and to just keep going.

So so far I'm at 9k. And there are tangled bits of plot wool already.

Are you taking the plunge?


4 comments:

joanne fox said...

Enjoy the ride! I'm not doing it this time, but might do another year. I love hearing about everyone else's progress though, so do keep us posted.

Judy Jarvie said...

It's a great time to think that everybody's busy writing, isn't it! Nice to meet you Joanne!
P.S. I like soup also! Curried lentil my current fave.

Rena George said...

Good luck with that novel, Judy. I did NaNoWriMo last year and absoloutely loved the experience. I've been in two minds about taking part this time since we are are away for a week during November.
On the other hand nothing ventured...

Judy Jarvie said...

Hi Rena - I know what you mean about it being tempting.
I've done it a few times successfully. Then tried a couple more and got derailed by life. But I figure you're right - nothing ventured. And even a third of an idea written down is progress. Have a great time when you're away!