Monday, February 08, 2016

MondayBlogs - The Writer Who Didn't Write For Two Years

Three years ago after a routine surgery I got a surprise diagnosis of cancer, stage four. It knocked me into a strange state of numb shock followed by a period of retreat. :(

Retreat from life. From friends. And from writing. I didn't just have a block. I felt like I was a walking black hole and going back to my beloved serious hobby of writing would tip me over the edge of 'keeping the lid' on all my hurts. That was three  years ago. I slowly grew to see how incredibly lucky I was to have a cancer with a low enough grade (slow growing) to allow my stage four disease to be treatable. But that took time.

So this time last year (after two years in the black hole of no writing just reading) I surfaced and put fingers to keys. The result was a book that tumbled out at quite a rate. A departure book too for I'd been writing contemporary romance and this 'new me' turned to the hidden dream pursuit of romantic comedy! Maybe the funny part felt cathartic?

I'd realised that each day is a gift. And the writer in me was finally ready to re-emerge newly formed and keener than ever to just write for sheer joy. I don't think I will ever write the same. And that's a good thing.  At one stage I'd told people I wouldn't write again but adversity helped me find the right kind of writing. Romantic comedy was a dream that lurked because I lacked confidence. What I went through made me seize the day.

In summary - this post is about dreams and how much they matter. Writing what  you really love and what fires you deeply, counts most! The book that broke my writing drought will be released later this year. It helped me breakthrough in more ways than one. Laughter is medicine. Point proven.


#aftercancer #MondayBlogs #romcom #writing

5 comments:

Rachel Lyndhurst said...

You're an inspiration, lovely lady. Really looking forward to reading your romantic comedy! xxxxx

Judy Jarvie said...

Cheers Rach. You're pretty darn fab yourself! I've been watching your success since I disappeared from the scene - fabby! Hugs xxx

Marcy said...

Congrats on the upcoming book! So glad to have you back in the land of the writing.

Hugs,
Marcy

Judy Jarvie said...

Thanks Marcy - high fiving you back. Jx

Ashantay Peters said...

Congratulations on finding what helps you stay healthy! And getting published is the crown jewel! Good on you!